Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Veg out

Last night I made a version of "Summers End Bake," even though technically its early spring. What can I say.... I am excited for the summer veggies to come in! I got the original recipe from Health-Bent, which is an awesome website if you haven't visited before! I made a few variations and thought of a few more post-consumption....

(teapot not required. sorry my photography is kind of crap)
What you'll need:

1/2 lb spicy Italian sausage
1/2 lb 90/10 grass fed beef
1 eggplant
2 pints cherry tomatoes
fresh mozzarella
fresh basil, chopped
salt & pepper
evoo


I cut the tomatoes in half and placed on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzled some EVOO and salt & pepper. Same with eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick. You probably want to drizzle a little extra on the eggplant because it dries out in the oven. I baked at 300 for about 25 minutes. 

While that's baking, I browned the meats and sliced up some fresh mozzarella. Once the veggies were done, I layered the meat, eggplant, tomatoes, cheese and basil (in that order) like I would lasagna (about two layers). Then I cooked for about 10 minutes at 375. I think next time, I will leave the cheese cold and place on dish after baking. Or if you prefer it all hot, I would recommend using shredded mozzarella for better melting consistency. But overall, this was REALLY yummy and super easy! And a nice colorful way to start off the warmer months :)


No comments:

Post a Comment